1 Cup Buckwheat Groats
2 Tbsp Chia seeds
3 Tbsp Filtered Water
2 Cups Filtered Water
Coconut oil for cooking
1. Soak buckwheat in a glass jar with plenty of filtered water, leave overnight or 4 hours minimum
2. Soak chia seeds in a jar with 3 tablesppons of water
3. Drain buckwheat in a sieve and rinse well with water. Optional: leave the buckwheat in the sieve to sprout for 12-24 hours, rinsing every 6 hours
4. Combine buckwheat, chia mixture (no rinsing required), 2 cups of water, egg and salt in a deep bowl or jug
5. Blend until smooth (I use a stick blender)
6. Heat coconut oil in a cast iron or non stick fry pan (I use a well seasoned cast iron pan)
7. Pour in mixture and tip pan to spread it around the pan. The crepes should be 2-4 mm thick, if the mixture is too think then add a little more water.
8. Flip once so that both sides are cooked
Serve with butter and maple syrup, yoghurt and fruit or cheese, ham and egg. Sauerkraut, egg and cheese is good too! When the french make them with egg and cheese they add the toppings while the crepe is in the pan and then fold over in half and half again so it turns out like a triangular parcel – yum!